Canadians Sharing Locally and Globally (CSLG) is a registered Canadian charity with supporters throughout Canada, the USA, India, and in other nations around the world. We are looking for volunteers to join us in helping to improve the lives of people in need in South India and in disaster-stricken areas worldwide.
In South India (e.g., in and around Vellore-Thirumalaikodi) we work with the Sri Narayani Peedam Charitable Trust to offer assistance to people living in poverty, especially in rural areas. We provide basic material goods and services directly to those in need and collaborate with organizations on the ground to improve the future for younger generations.
Key activities in South India include:
- Supplying basic needs,such as nourishing meals, clothing and essentials for day-to-day living.
- Offering scholarships to children and youth, particularly first-generation learners, so that they can attend school and get an education. These students are the first members of their families to go to school; this can significantly benefit the community’s future.
- Allocating nursing scholarships to qualified young women who face financial hardships so that they can overcome financial obstacles to their training, complete their education at the Nursing College, and become qualified to practice their profession in the community.
- Offering vocational training to local women to help them become economically self-sufficient.
- Donating much needed supplies and equipment to the Nursing College and the Hospital, including:
- medical journals for the College
- medical equipment, such as dialysis machines, to the Sri Narayani Hospital
- medicine, equipment and vitamins for the hospital’s outreach program in outlying villages.
- Supplying protective equipment to workers in the local recycling program.
- Providing the Green Shakti Environmental Program, which stewards reforestation of the arid areas of these remote communities, with seeds, planting materials and trees.
Our activities in other parts of the world include disaster relief, such as assistance to people affected by Typhoon Haiyan in the Philippines, and partnerships with other qualified Canadian humanitarian organizations.
Volunteering with CSLG offers is a real opportunity for you to become actively involved in discovering your own potential while directly helping to improve the lives of others. Our experience has been that volunteering makes accessible a part of ourselves that often remains hidden. It’s like polishing a mirror so that we can see better who we truly are. We become strengthened by giving and softened by the great need for giving. We’ve learned and practiced different technical skills and come away with the understanding that, yes, one person can really make a difference, one person at a time. We are a very fast-paced, creative organization that has its challenges and great personal rewards as well.
Here are some of our volunteer needs at this time. You can help us:
- Develop social-networking opportunities, such as Facebook, Twitter and other social-networking activities
- Build and manage Website content
- Raise funds in your local community
- Undertake graphics design work to produce brochures
- Develop a quarterly e-newsletter publication
- Expand program support in each country by sharing CSLG information with your family, friends and community
- Provide program support in South India
- Publish the book entitled Address of the Divine as an e-book to help as a fund-raising mechanism
- Foster crowd-funding for a new Anaesthesia work station, budgeted at around CAD $32,000
There are many ways to help. Feel free to help out with even just a part of a project; you don’t have to take on the whole thing. Every hour counts! We would be very grateful if you would join us by:
- Spending a few hours doing research and writing for one of the programs listed above.
- Giving a couple of hours of your time directly to one of our projects on the ground in South India.
- Donating a few hours from time to time as programs are developed.
- Committing to a part-time or full-time position.
Students, volunteering with us qualifies towards your obligatory community service hours.
If you want to make a difference by volunteering in an environment that creates joy through service to others, please contact us to apply for or create positions in your area of expertise and interest. If we don’t do this work, then who will?
More about Canadians Sharing Locally and Globally can be seen at: www.canadianssharing.org
Volunteer at: email@example.com
More information can be found at: firstname.lastname@example.org
Contact us at: email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org or via web
Donate at: email@example.com or here
Interact with us: facebook.com/canadianssharing
Follow us: twitter.com/cdnssharing
See our work: youtube.com/cdnssharing
Call us 613-832-4618 Registered Charity #847805249RR0001
Corporate sponsor Sandy Hill Construction Ltd. www.sandyhill.ca
Also supported by private foundations and private donors worldwide.